There are a number of ways to help the Connecticut Horticultural Society (CT Hort) continue moving forward from its start in 1897. Your annual membership is one form of support. Another is to contribute your time and expertise.
CT Hort is currently looking to fill the position of Membership Committee Chairperson. The Membership committee is tasked with acquainting the general public with the Society and its benefits by attending events where our literature can be placed in the hands of interested people. In addition, committee members staff the membership table at monthly meetings and various events to facilitate discussion with potential members, sign up new members and process renewals.
As head of the committee, the chairperson is responsible for coordinating the following activities:
- Have a membership table staffed at each CT Hort event and a handful of public events.
- Work with the Communications Director and Office Administrator to update membership and renewal information at the start of each season. Any changes are decided by the Board and members by June and must be implemented by September 1.
- Acquaint nurseries, florist, Garden Clubs or any horticultural business with CT Hort. Leave behind a Program Calendar, membership brochures, Newsletters, etc.
- Invite recent Master Gardener graduates to our January Speaker Meeting. Coordinate this with UConn Master Gardener Coordinator in October.
- Coordinate Member Anniversary Celebration that occurs at our April Speaker meeting.
- Work with the Communications Director to extend invitations to outside groups who may find our speakers of interest, e.g., photography groups, garden clubs, Audobon, etc.
We would love to meet the outgoing individual who would enjoy spreading the word of our interesting, plant-loving organization. Please come forward to help us build our membership base and secure the future of CT Hort. To learn more, please call Cheryl Marino at 860.989.6149 or Brett Isaacson at 860.243.1630.