The Connecticut Horticultural Society (CHS) has something for everyone. From travel programs and a regular newsletter to enticing speakers and workshops, CHS has spent 130 years encouraging, improving and teaching the practice of gardening and promoting the appreciation of plants and the environment. Its members share a simple philosophy: the world of plants is a necessary element for bringing tranquility to the soul. As a member, you’ll find many resources for the heart and mind.
To register now online click below:
»Register Now for membership September 2016-August 2017
Benefits of Membership:
• Speaker Program: Each year, CHS organizes an outstanding roster of speakers, many of whom are known nationally for their horticultural contributions. Members enjoy intriguing topics such as garden design or how to find rare plants. The nine yearly program meetings offer a time to share experiences with other gardeners, gain new ideas and inspiration from informative speakers, see slides of new, trusted or unusual plants, participate in plant raffles and keep up to date in the world of horticulture.
• Travel Programs: CHS opens the door to the gardens of the world with our travel programs. Members are offered a variety of specially priced group trips focusing on a horticultural theme while also managing to include other interests. Travel is arranged by Friendship Tours for local and national trips, as well as international journeys.
• CHS Newsletter: Published 10 times a year, CHS Newsletter is your source for updates from CHS, profiles of monthly speakers, articles on plants, landscape design, technique and other horticulture-related topics, highlights of CHS travel programs, a listing of horticultural events, members’ activities, and more.
• Workshops: The CHS Education Committee works throughout the year to plan workshops, demonstrations and other programs of interest to our members. The programs are held throughout the state and are led by local experts who provide guidance on activities like pruning and propagating plants, over-wintering tropical plants and tender perennials without a greenhouse. CHS members are charged a nominal fee; guests pay more.
• Semi-annual Auctions: Spring and Fall plant auctions give CHS members a chance to buy unusual plants. Donations come from renowned local nurseries, the University of Connecticut, members’ own gardens. Proceeds have funded scholarships to horticultural students at UConn since 1959 and at Naugatuck Valley Community College since the 2010-11 academic year.
• Use of the CHS Library. CHS members may use our library of classic and new horticultural books, as well as CDs and videos. The library, located in the CHS office, is open during regular office hours. The library had been adding to its robust collection since the society’s early years. A selection of books is brought to each program meeting for members’ convenience. Books are returnable at the following program meeting. Non-reference books may be borrowed for up to 30 days. Comfortable space for on-site study is also available.
• Discounts :
* HORTICULTURE Magazine: All members get a 60% + discount on their annual subscription. This year’s code is provided with your renewal confirmation.
* Local Nurseries. Many Connecticut nurseries offer CHS members a discount with their CHS membership card. View this list of nurseries and garden centers offering CHS members a 10 percent discount on plants.
• Socializing with Fellow Horticultural Enthusiasts: In addition to the regular meetings, where members can chat over refreshments– at the June program meeting, an ice-cream social precedes our speaker’s presentation.
Dues for Sept. 2016- August 2017 Membership year:
- Individual: $49
- Senior (65+) Individual: $44
- “30 for $30”: 30 yrs or less $30
- Student with current ID: free
- Family: $69
- Senior(65+) Family: $64
Sustaining Members have all the above benefits and more:
- Sustaining Garden Builder: $125
- Sustaining Plant Expert: $250
- Sustaining Dream Designer: $500 (click here for more on additional Sustaining Member benefit information)
Garden related businesses have special benefits at two levels: (click here for business membership form)
- Business :$100 (click her for business membership details)
- Business Benefactor: $250
Garden Clubs have different benefits than individual members (click here for more details)
You can also register through the mail: