Auction schedule – Friday, April 26:
4:30p.m. Volunteers arrive for setup
5:00p.m. Doors open for donations
6:30p.m. Preview & Silent Auction
7:00p.m. Plant Sale
7:15p.m. Plant Auction
Location: Bethany Covenant Church, 785 Mill Street (Route 372), Berlin
This is the 60th year that CT Hort has funded college scholarships for deserving plant science students. The two annual plant sale and auctions are the major fundraisers for this effort – 100% of the proceeds is used for scholarships!
Come be a part of this worthwhile and fun tradition that marks the start of spring. Admission is FREE!
You’ll find trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, houseplants, assorted garden treasures and books. The evening’s proceeds fund scholarships for deserving horticulture students at UConn and Naugatuck Valley Community College.
The Plant Sale offers interesting plants from member gardens. The Silent Auction includes gift options for Mother’s Day. During the LIVE auction, bid on collectible new introductions from our nursery supporters and rare plant divisions from our members’ gardens.
How you can help: Volunteers are needed for all sorts of things from donations and pricing, to set up and break down. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re willing to lend a hand. Or, hang a few flyers where you work or shop. Printable flyer is available for download here:
And, of course, we are ALWAYS in need of enthusiastic plant buyers! Please come join the fun!
Plant Donation Details: (Donor letter available for download here)
- Pot donations early to allow them to recover and adjust to potted life. Please use pots so that your plant displays well and holds its soil (no paper cups, plastic bags, etc.). Resist making several small divisions; larger plants sell better.
- Label plants with common and botanical names (if possible) and cultural preferences. A picture really helps sell your donation.
- Deliver donations – along with your name, address and list of items donated – on auction day from 5 to 6 p.m. Plant list and donor info is required to receive a record of donation.
- Ask nurseries and garden centers for donations. Most nurseries are receptive to the request. Donations are tax deductible for nurseries and a good way to advertise to CT Hort members.
- Donations accepted from 5 to 6 p.m. on the day of the auction.
Please bring a list of the plants donated and the name and address of the nursery when you deliver so that CT Hort may properly acknowledge the donation.