The Photo-Graphic Garden: Mastering the Art of Digital Garden Photography
with Matthew Benson, Award-Winning Photographer
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 7 p.m.
Instinct tells us: See a beautiful garden, a glorious blossom, a splash of perennial color you take out the camera and click. You know that this is perfect light, this fragile, miraculous beauty is fleeting. Best to capture it. But knowing how best to capture all that beauty eludes many of us. You put your camera to your eye and shoot away, only to delete the image later when your lowly pixels disappoint: too dark, too light, too much contrast, too little focus, or awkward composition. All the aesthetic excitement you experienced in the garden has perished and you’re left with a pile of forgettable megapixels.
Sound familiar? For anyone who has ever walked through a garden, the rich sensory imprint of color, light, and form can almost overwhelm, while the photographs we take are often a weak facsimile of the remembered experience. That’s all about to change with the CT Hort 2019-20 Speaker Season opener – professional photographer and national speaker Matthew Benson.
Matthew’s presentation on the fundamentals of creating beautiful, compelling photography in the garden includes working with light and composition, developing a personal style, post production and image editing techniques, the best basic equipment– from cameras and filters to iPhones and Instagram.
The evening lecture will include a Q&A session, book sale and signing.
Matthew is offering a 2+ hour hands-on workshop the next day at 9 a.m. that begins with a photography session in Elizabeth Park and ends with pointers on editing your photos. Bring your camera or smartphone. Please register in advance if you are interested in attending.
For info or to register please click here.
Meetings are open to everyone and are free for full-time students with a valid ID. A donation of $10 is suggested from non-members. Location: Emanuel Auditorium – 160 Mohegan Drive, West Hartford.
Cost for non-members is $10 .
Important Reminder: Emanuel Synagogue requires that we institute formal sign-in procedures for added safety and security at their facility. Please bear this in mind, and we appreciate your patience as we carry out their request. Thank you.
Upcoming Speakers for the 2019-2020 Season:
- Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019 The Photo-Graphic Garden: Mastering the Art of Digital Garden Photography, Matthew Benson, Award- Winning Photographer
- Thursday, Oct. 17, 2019 My Life with Daffodils. Eric Breed, Dutch International Photographer and bulb expert
- Thursday, Nov. 21, 2019 Saving the Bees: The Sweet Life of a Beekeeping Entrepreneur. C. Marina Marchese
- Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020 The New Zen Garden. Christopher Tuccio, Professor of Horticulture, Naugatuck Valley Community College
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 Cannabis on Campus: Not What you Think! Gerald Berkowitz, Professor, University of Connecticut
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 Fronds with Benefits: Ferns from the Wild into the Garden. Leslie Duthie, Horticulturist
- Thursday, April 23, 2020 Ticks: It’s Not Just Lyme Disease Anymore. Dr. Kirby Stafford, Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station
- Thursday, May 21, 2020 The Art of Growing Food. Ellen Ogden, writer, gardener, cook
- Thursday, June 18, 2020 TBA. Jan Johnsen, Landscape Designer, Author and Speaker. This lecture is possible due to generous funding from the Lois and Herb Isaacson endowment.