Our commitment to bring you nine interesting speakers to satisfy your horticultural curiosity has not changed. As long as group gatherings are not an option, we will present our guest speakers live online via Zoom conferencing, on the day they were scheduled to visit with us. Online conferencing is a wonderful technology and per your requests, we will continue the live streaming and recording of our meetings even when we return to our in-person monthly meetings.
Designing for Birds
with Joann Vieira – Director of Horticulture, the Trustees of Reservations; Former Director, Tower Hill Botanical Gardens
Thursday, September 10, 7 p.m.
Join us from the comfort and safety of your own home, to hear Joann Vieira’s suggestions on gardening to attract birds to your garden. Her presentation – Designing for Birds – will be livestreamed and you can watch from your computer, iPad, or phone.
Joann is the statewide Director of Horticulture for the Trustees of Reservations. Founded in 1891, the Trustees is the nation’s first and the state of Massachusetts’s largest conservation and preservation organization. Among the nearly 120 properties protected by the Trustees there are significant and treasured historic landscapes and gardens, including 11 public gardens. Since 2016 the Trustees have been working to preserve, restore and reinvigorate these public gardens—assessing and cataloging collections and bringing the gardens to life for their more than 140,000 members, and visitors annually.
Prior to the Trustees public gardens initiative, Joann served as founding Director of Horticulture for Tower Hill Botanic Garden in Boylston, Mass. for nearly 30 years. Joann was instrumental in shaping the gardens, landscape and plant collections—transforming the property from a 132-acre dairy farm to a vibrant and growing 171-acre public garden.
Upcoming Speakers for the 2020-2021 Season:
- October 15, 2020 – Chris Olsen – Drab to Fab – https://chrisholsen.com/
- November 12, 2020 – Ellen Ecker Ogden – Kitchen Garden Design – https://www.ellenogden.com/
- January 21, 2021 – Joseph Tychonievich – Confessions of a Plant Nerd – https://www.josephgardens.com/
- February 18, 2021 – Rodger Phillips, Sub Edge Farm – Farming the Land: Seven Years Growing on a Diversified Farm – https://www.subedgefarm.com/
- March 18, 2021 – Karen Perkins – Epimediums: Jewels of the Shade – https://www.epimediums.com/
- April 15, 2021 – Leslie Duthie – Fronds with Benefits: Ferns from the Wild to the Garden – https://www.norcrosswildlife.org/
- May 20, 2021 – Tom Christopher – Nature into Art: The Gardening Lessons of Wave Hill – https://www.gardenrant.com/author/thomas-christopher
- June 17, 2021 – Gordon Hayward – The Inevitable Garden – https://www.haywardgardens.com/